Eagles split home games against Lipscomb and Northern Kentucky

The team had quite the swinging momentum for both Atlantic Sun Conference competition home games this weekend. Not only was the momentum back and forth for the playing on the court, but also from the crowds as well. The big game against Lipscomb Friday night included a record-breaking attendance of 2,234. This is almost six and a half times the amount of people who came to the Saturday night’s game against Northern Kentucky University.
“I’m proud of the girls for staying mentally tough in this match,” Nichols said to FGCU Athletics after losing to Lipscomb. “We played hard in front of a great crowd, especially in the fourth set, but we just could not sustain the pace of Lipscomb’s attack. We will need to rebound to play a strong game tomorrow night.” The Bisons took home another win for conference play, putting them at 7-2 in the A-Sun. The fi rst set resulted in the Lady Bison winning (25-23). The Eagles however, responded to that in the second set winning by three points at 25-22.
The first set was won by the Bisons (25- 23) before the Eagles responded with a win in the second set. In set two Gigi Meyer had a beautiful set resulting in set point 25-22. The visitors took early advantage in the third set as FGCU watched the ball drop in the middle of the court with hardly any movement from any of the girls.
A timeout was called by Nichols once the team let Lipscomb get a three point lead, 8-11. After the time out, the team seemed more focused and great rallies continued throughout the set. FGCU fell to Lipscomb in the tight third set, 23-25. In the beginning of the fourth set, Meyer recovers a nasty kill going right to her face from an opposing player by quickly throwing her hands up. It was like the play was straight out of a movie, when the crowd all shouted a long and exaggerated “Oh!,” and then resulted in lots of cheering when she was able to get the ball back up. Thankfully her hands were placed in such a manner that allowed Karina Mambuca with an attempted kill. The Eagles lost the fourth and final set by five points, 20-25.
Traveling from just a few miles beyond the border of Cincinati, Ohio, the Northern Kentucky Norse came into the Nest the following night. The Norse lost to FGCU 3-1, the match score that the Eagles lost to the night prior. Although Meyer had six less offensive assists and Masters had two less offensive digs than the game against Lipscomb, NKU had 22 more errors throughout the entire match. It was a quite night for attendance in Alico Arena with a total of 349 in attendance, which is quite the small to the amount of people who came into the Nest the night before. The sets had final scores as follows, 27-25, 25-23, 17-25, 25-16, respectively. Although play was completely flip flopped in the third set, the girls turned it around in the fourth and pulled out a win.
This coming weekend the Eagles will be visiting Mercer, Kennesaw State and UNF. Currently, the Eagles are tied for third place in the conference with Stetson at six wins and three losses. Mercer is in last place 0-10, while Kennesaw State and UNF are tied for fourth place with a 3-6 A-Sun conference record.