Salvation Army seeks volunteers this holiday season

There are numerous ways FGCU students can give back to the local community this holiday season while earning a few extra service learning hours.
The Salvation Army of Lee, Hendry and Glades Counties will be accepting volunteers for events throughout the month of December.
Volunteers are needed to pack food for families at its Christmas warehouse, located at 13530 North Cleveland Avenue, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Dec. 1 and 2. At least 60 volunteers are needed each day, so large groups are urged to participate.
At various Wal-Mart locations across Lee County, the Salvation Army will be holding “Fill the Truck” events on Dec. 5. Volunteers will be positioned at the front of the store next to a donation container. They will be given the task of speaking to customers about the event and encouraging them to purchase toys and donate them to the cause.
Students can also volunteer as bell ringers at multiple locations in Lee County through Dec. 24.
As a part of the Salvation Army’s Angel Tree program, volunteers can help by sorting and packing toys by age and gender from Dec. 7 to 12, 14 and 15. Volunteers are needed to distribute the toys from Dec. 16 to 19.
The Angel Tree program is a way for businesses, organizations and groups of people to purchase clothing, toys and other gifts for their designated “angels,” who are local children belonging to low-income families. With the help of FGCU’s civically engaged student body, needy families will hopefully experience a little extra joy in their lives this holiday season.
To learn more about the program or host your own tree, visit the Salvation Army Angel Tree webpage. Students interested in volunteering for any of the aforementioned events can contact Kris Volpone at 239-278-1551 or [email protected].