The future of tradition

The future of ice cream has arrived in Fort Myers. Since it’s opening three weeks ago inside Sun Cup Golf Center, Sunset Sweets has been whipping up flash frozen custard. Custard is frozen right before customer’s eyes through the process of adding liquid nitrogen to a liquefied custard base.
Sunset Sweets is bringing space-age technology to a traditional treat. Billows of smoke clouds form when liquid nitrogen, ranging from negative 346 and negative 320.44 degrees Fahrenheit, is added to the custard base.
“The liquid nitrogen is so cold that it helps freeze it instantly,” said Josh Baltrusaitis, director of operations at Sun Cup Golf Center. Baltrusaitis reassures customers that it’s completely save to consume. Once liquid nitrogen hits oxygen, the nitrogen evaporates, leaving behind ultra smooth custard without the formation of crystals.
Although this is a new generation of dessert, Sunset Sweets isn’t withholding from using farm-fresh, organic ingredients. The sign behind their counter even promises, “you won’t find any preservative in our custard.”
Sunset Sweets is currently offering vanilla and chocolate flavored custard. For a seasonal flair they created a pumpkin spice concrete, similar to a Blizzard one would find at Dairy Queen. After freezing the custard base, customer’s watch as employees add pureed pumpkin, spices and gram crackers to their creation and top it off with whipped cream.
Prices range from $2.00 for a single scoop of custard to $6.00 for a build-yourown concrete.
Sunset Sweets is located off of Daniels Parkway and Brookshire Lake Blvd, approximately 15 minutes from FGCU. As their logo states, “Taste the revolution!”

View Comments (1)