You can’t ‘X’ Christ out during the holiday season

Putting X in place of Christ in Christmas is like exing Jesus out of the holiday that celebrates his birth. Regardless of religion or belief, people use the term Xmas instead of Christmas. It’s a careless habit that people don’t notice anymore.
I grew up in a Christian family and have gone to church my entire life. Christmas and Easter have always been the most important holidays to my family and I because the religious holidays celebrate the birth and resurrection of our savior, Jesus Christ, hence the name Christmas.
Christ’s birth was the first step in him bringing salvation to the world before being crucified and resurrected. When the term “Xmas” is used, it takes all spiritual meaning out of the word and the holiday. It’s as if someone is literally trying to ex Christ out of the equation — an equation he created.
According to the Catholic Church, dating back almost 1,000 years, X stands for Christ, which is where the term Xmas started. However, Jesus isn’t referred to as X anywhere in the Bible. His name is Jesus Christ, not X. People in the church don’t praise and worship X or get baptized in the name of X. They praise Jesus Christ and get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
“And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21) .
The verse even spells out his name in all caps. His name is Jesus Christ and he is the reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place. I don’t understand why anyone, especially Catholics, would want to abbreviate the holiday and leave out the most important name.Christmas isn’t in the Bible, either. It’s a man-made word to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. The holiday was named Christmas because of him. It has his name in it. It’s the reason Christmas is celebrated throughout the world. Writing it as Xmas comes across as lazy and as if there’s no real reason theholiday is celebrated by millions of people every year. Jesus deserves much more than an X replacing him.
If the argument is that the Catholic Church started abbreviating it to Xmas because X stands for Christ, the response is that not everyone will know that unless they practice Catholicism or do research on the term. People know him as Jesus Christ and not some unknown variable.
“In mathematics, X usually denotes an unknown or unspecified person or thing,” said Christina Lewis, music director and wife of the pastor at The Rock Worship Center in Fort Myers. “If we should choose a language other than English, then let us consider a Spanish reference where ‘Christmas’ roughly translates to ‘more Christ.’ Truly, we seek Jesus Christ in our hearts, beyond our language.”
X has no real value or meaning whereas Christ, for people who truly believe such as myself, holds the entire world. His birth is the only reason Christmas is celebrated, so replacing his name with X takes out the entire meaning of the holiday.

The read the opposing argument – “By using ‘Xmas,’ we’re historically correct” – click here