Help for Haiti, organization works to help rebuild country and provide for its people

Special to Eagle News.

Love a Child is a nonprofit organization with a Fort Myers office that provides food, shelter and education to the poorest regions in Haiti.
Bobby and Sherry Burnette founded Love a Child after they moved to Haiti in 1991. They minister to the poor in Haiti and work to feed and provide for those living in poverty.
The organization’s main goal is to provide jobs through sustainability programs. According to the Love a Child website, almost 90 percent of the country is unemployed and two thirds of the labor force do not have formal jobs. The environment has been destroyed due to poor agricultural practices. Love a Child works to reforest parts of Haiti and train Haitians to work in the field.
With partners and volunteers, Love a Child provides basic needs to the poor parts of Haiti. The staff of the organization built a 30,000 square-foot food distribution center to house food and help distribute to the 16 Love a Child schools, which includes about 7,000 students and other villagers. Each meal costs four cents through donations.
The organization also helps build houses for those who had been affected by the earthquake in 2010. With the help of sponsors and volunteers, Love a Child was able to build a village of 500 fully furnished homes.

Special to Eagle News.
Love a Child co-founder Bobby Burnette stands with Haitian students. Special to Eagle News.

For the orphaned children of Haiti, Bobby and Sherry Burnette provide a place to live and tender loving care. Orphans are up for sponsorship on the organization website. Sponsors give monthly donations to help provide food and education for the sponsored orphan.
Medical care is also provided for the poor in Haiti through the organization. Love a Child provides a doctor’s office, mobile medical clinics and a malnutrition center.
According to the organization website, Love a Child’s “mobile teams often treat more than 400 sick and hurting people a day.”
Love a Child accepts donations of time and materials. Some volunteers may want to be more hands on and physically become a part of Love a Child in Haiti. Monetary and gift donations for Love a Child and the children of Haiti can be sent to the Love a Child office in Fort Myers.