Student filmmaker focuses lens on music, comedy

Demitri Blanco is like your everyday hardworking college student. Studying diligently as a sophomore and majoring in business management, one may never guess that he is an aspiring film director.
Blanco works for In Trouble Zone Productions, where he has worked on three different reality television sets. These cannot be named due to contractual agreements.

Before college and work with In Trouble Zone, he was always interested in entering in his high school’s film festivals and directing for the school’s morning broadcast. Since then, Blanco has found difficulty in finding a way to get involved around FGCU– until now.

“I want to start doing my own independent production for kids at school who are on a lower budget,” Blanco said.

Broadway Avenue, Blanco’s organization, has two projects already lined up.

Blanco and his friend Austin VanDyne, sophomore at FGCU, plan on creating their own comical YouTube channel. It will be primarily short skits and parodies, but their first desire is a comedy sketch series. They hope to maximize productivity by releasing a video every two weeks.
“I feel that the Internet is the easiest way for an aspiring director to gain attention and fans,” VanDyne shared.

On top of the excitement to work independently, Blanco will also be producing music videos. In mid-November, Blanco will be filming a video for Daniel Stallings. Stallings is a well-known rapper at FGCU, who is planning a school concert for the release of his new mix tape “’93” on December 1st.

After hearing about Blanco’s expertise, he was excited to get the ball rolling for both of them.

“I have heard good things about him and I’m very excited to work with him,” Stallings expressed.
Blanco will be producing a video of Stalling’s newest track “I’m Here.”

Stallings is known for lyrically expressing his personal life. Shouldn’t the music video follow? Stallings wants to see what Blanco has to bring to the table.

“I’d love for him to bring his own creative stance to the video,” Stallings replied.

Though Blanco’s short term goals consist of music videos and comedy sketches, his ultimate plan is to make it into the Indie film making circuit. While pursuing his passion, he also wants to experience the world.

“I want to get into these film festivals and have the opportunity to travel,” Blanco says.
Blanco cannot recall a time where he has not been interested in the process of filmmaking. He explained how his uncle would show him “behind the scenes” clips as a kid.

“It’s like magic. I’ve loved film since I was born,” Blanco shared.

Interested in working with Demitri Blanco?
Email:  HYPERLINK “mailto:[email protected][email protected]

Listen to “I’m Here” by Daniel Stallings:
Soundcloud.com/rapispower