Men’s soccer: Guillen to make debut, Saravia plays WC qualifier

Saravia plays full 90 minutes in win over US in World Cup qualifier

Former FGCU men’s soccer captain Rodrigo Saravia took a break from life in professional American soccer to go back to his roots in Guatemala. Saravia joined the Guatemala National Team to face the US Friday night in the CONCACAF qualifier for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
Saravia played the full 90 minutes as a center midfielder against the Stars and Stripes in the 2-0 win in his hometown of Guatemala City, Guatemala.
Saravia, who was selected 19th overall by the Columbus Crew in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft, will rematch against the USNT in Columbus, Ohio on March 29.
Saravia earned his first cap for the senior Guatemala National Team during a 3-1 victory in a international with Honduras on Feb. 10.

Aaron Guillen to make debut with FC Dallas Saturday night

Along with Saravia, another former captain on the 2015 FGCU squad is making a significant appearance at the professional level this week.
With seven players out on international duty, FC Dallas Homegrown Player Aaron Guillen will make his first team debut in FC Dallas’ match against D.C. United Saturday night.
Guillen signed with FC Dallas in January after spending years working his way through the club’s academy and U18 team.
Guillen, now sporting a shaved head along with the team’s other rookies, will also be showing off a black eye and broken nose that he picked up a week ago during a short-sided game.
Guillen will make his appearance with FC Dallas tonight at 5:30 p.m. at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium.

Ingham using tech to train with FC Edmonton in preseason

After signing with FC Edmonton in January, former FGCU goalkeeper continues his training with the North American Soccer League team as the club approaches the start to its regular season.
Through the team’s preseason, Ingham has been training under goalkeeper coach Darren Woloshen where the team is using technology to help train his three-keeper staff.
Woloshen has been using Sports Attack’s Strike Attack machine in his goalkeeping training sessions for a more precise workout. Strike Attack delivers balls up to 74.5 mph at a distance of 75 yards or more with a realistic curve to give goalkeepers a more realistic workout.
Ingham is joined by goalkeepers Matt VanOekel and Tyson Farago for the club. After going 3-0-1 in the preseason, North American Soccer League Canadian-based team FC Edmonton opens up its regular spring season on April 2 against Rayo OKC.