Hurricane Matthew postpones FGCU athletic games

Athletics+postponed
EN Photo / Brad Young

Hurricane Matthew has already affected FGCU with class cancellations and campus closure for Thursday, Oct. 6 and Friday, Oct. 7. The category four hurricane has also affected FGCU athletics with cancellations and game postpones.
Alico Arena has already been converted to a hurricane shelter for FGCU students and the Fort Myers community.
FGCU men’s soccer at Jacksonville is postponed and with no make-up date yet. With many efforts to make the game happen, including moving it to FGCU on Friday or Saturday, the game was unable to happen this weekend. An official release should be out later today.
The swimming and diving meet for Friday and Saturday is still on as of now. However, several teams are not coming as originally scheduled, such as South Carolina and Grand Canyon.
The remaining field includes: LSU, Ohio State, Rutgers, Utah, Virginia Tech.
FGCU women’s tennis fall tournament has lost a number of teams because of the weather, including, Iowa State, Arkansas, UConn, FAU, Arkansas State and Barry.
The only teams remaining are UCF, Minnesota and Stetson and the tournament has been moved from a Friday-Sunday format to Saturday and Sunday.
Women’s soccer was on a 6 a.m. flight today and should have no scheduling conflicts this weekend as they are scheduled to play Kennesaw State on Friday, Oct. 7 in Kennesaw, Georgia and Lipscomb Sunday, Oct. 9 in Nashville, Tennessee.
The FGCU volleyball team has a flight later today that is on as scheduled, but could change.
The team is also scheduled to travel to Georgia and Tennessee to verse Kennesaw State on Friday, Oct. 6 and Lipscomb on Saturday, Oct. 8.