Be Aware of Your Stress

Photo by Unsplash

Delinah Rosario, Opinion Editor

Stress is a normal feeling, especially as a full-time college student. As someone with four or five classes and two or three jobs, you are bound to get overwhelmed. No one can blame you. Everyone handles it differently. Some people take breaths and keep moving, while others prioritize their self-care and some get the help they need by relying on the people in their life to help. There is no right or wrong way to deal with the stressors of your life, but it is good to be aware of those triggers that stress you out. It’s just as important to notice when you are stressed.

How do you handle stress? I know for me going home after a long day, hopping in bed and turning on the TV is the way I let go. To most that may seem like a normal activity, but for me, it’s my way to keep calm. I don’t always have the time or energy to de-stress the way I want by lighting candles or having a spa night, so taking the time to watch a movie or catch up on my comfort show brings me a peace of mind. I know I’m not the only one with a “comfort show.” Bundling up in my PJs and being wrapped up in my blanket is what I look forward to at the end of the day.

April is National Stress Awareness Month which was created to raise awareness of the negative impact of stress. There is not one definition for stress, but the most common explanation is physical, mental or emotional strain/tension. Not all stress is terrible, but long-term stress can have harmful impacts on physical and mental health. It’s important to recognize what stress and anxiety looks like and to take the steps needed to build resilience and manage it. It’s also important to know where to go for help.

You can go to friends, family, mentors or even licensed professionals. FGCU’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is just one great resource that university provides. Getting help isn’t a weakness. You don’t have to handle everything on your own. I am the type of person that usually likes to do just that. I try to fix all of my own problems and handle stress in my own way. The problem with that is that it may not always be the healthiest. Finding healthy ways to manage stress and being okay to go to others when it becomes too much is important.

Take a day to yourself, go out with your friends, read a book or go out to eat. Whatever clears your mind at the end of the day. Do what makes you happy. Life will always be busy. There will always be stressors whether big or small, but it’s how you handle them that matters. Try your best to see the little things that get you worked up. Find the moments when you feel overwhelmed. In doing so you will be able to figure out how to best manage the stressors before they become too much.

Being aware of your stress can help you better cope. Stress is a reaction to a situation where a person feels anxious or threatened. It’s important to find healthy ways to cope and get the proper care and support you need in order to help reduce stressful feelings and symptoms. Together let’s learn to overcome issues you can’t change.