Men’s Soccer Still Winless After Labor Day Weekend Homestand, Host UAB Saturday Before Starting ASUN Play

Junior+forward+Pau+Santanach+%2816%29+protects+the+ball+from+Georgia+Southern+University+on+Friday+September+1%2C+2023.+
Jessica Piland
Junior forward Pau Santanach (16) protects the ball from Georgia Southern University on Friday September 1, 2023.

Returning home after being unable to snag their first win of the season on a road trip in Kentucky to open the season, the Florida Gulf Coast University men’s soccer team is still seeking their first win after two home games over Labor Day weekend.

Starting the season, FGCU began on the road with a tough test at the then #3 team in the country, Kentucky, falling to the Wildcats 3-0. Staying in the state, the Eagles were off to face Northern Kentucky. After holding a 1-0 advantage throughout most of the game, the Eagles allowed the Norse to tie the game at 1-1 with less than 30 seconds left, giving both teams a draw as a result.

To open Labor Day weekend and the first homestand of the season, FGCU welcomed Georgia Southern, also the Eagles, to Pickering Field this past Friday night. Delays were plenty for the Eagles’ home opener, starting with the start time being pushed back due to lightning in the area.

There were four delays during the game due to the aforementioned lightning in the area as well as technical issues with one of the lights on the field going out. Neither team was really able to set anything up consistently or get into the kind of pace they wanted to be playing at.

As it started to rain by the end of the game, neither team could get on the scoreboard. The final score was a 0-0 draw for both teams as FGCU was unable to get a win in their home opener, earning the Eagles their second draw in three games.

On Monday night, the Eagles looked to finally earn their first win of the season after two draws and a loss to start the year. They welcomed Marist College from New York to finish off the homestand. Clear skies with no rain in sight were the conditions to start the game, much better conditions than Friday night’s game.

Junior forward Shoki Yoshida (7) secured the Eagle’s first and only goal against the Marist Red Foxes on Monday September 4, 2023. (Jessica Piland)

FGCU responded to the challenge of getting their first win, as the game was played with a fast pace and the Eagles controlled possession in the first half. After multiple chances, the Eagles got one through, courtesy of junior Shoki Yoshida, his first goal of the season, which gave the Eagles a 1-0 lead going into half time.

At the start of the second half, FGCU looked to add to their lead but were unable to take advantage of potential opportunities while having more miscues than before. Marist made some adjustments and came out more aggressive than the first half. 

A goal by Marist’s Jonathan Salguero leveled the game at 1-1 at 67:03. Not too long after, junior Lucas Windschauer was given a red card after a foul, leading to his ejection from the game and a free kick for the Red Foxes. Marist’s Jared Juleau took advantage of the opportunity and buried the free kick into the back of the net, giving the Red Foxes a 2-1 lead over the Eagles with about 15 minutes left in the game.

Down to 10 men, the Eagles couldn’t get anything going to tie the game in the late stages. The Red Foxes came away with a 2-1 win over the Eagles in a game that FGCU had plenty of chances.

FGCU is 0-2-2 to start the season and has one more home game on Saturday against UAB. Despite their record, with a win Saturday, it could jumpstart the Eagles into the type of form they want to be in going into ASUN Conference play.