New Bike Lanes and Repaved Roads Surround FGCU Campus

View+of+the+newly+paved+road+and+bike+lane+from+the+WGCU+building+parking+lot.+
Abigail Muth
View of the newly paved road and bike lane from the WGCU building parking lot.

FGCU has recently completed a major road improvement project, including the addition of new bike lanes, wider pedestrian lanes and essential resurfacing for the roadways surrounding the main campus. 

These improvements make cycling around campus safer and more convenient, plus the addition of traffic shifts have been implemented to enhance overall mobility within the campus area.

Jim Hehl, the Associate Vice President of Physical Plant at FGCU, led the initiative. Hehl formed a committee composed of representatives from various campus departments. Together, they discussed and planned the repaving project to improve road safety, traffic flow and accessibility for all members of the FGCU community.

The project was managed by Hehl and his team at the Physical Plant with Project Manager Miguel Rodriguez overseeing operations. The construction work was contracted out through Wright Construction, and the entire project took approximately two months to complete. 

The physical work of the project was completed over summer ‘23. It addressed the university’s aging roadways which were over 25 years old. The incentive behind these changes was a substantial grant from the state allowing FGCU to upgrade the campus infrastructure.

These recent upgrades align with FGCU’s commitment to creating a more sustainable and accessible campus environment, benefiting both students and faculty. The enhanced roadways and new bike lanes offer a safer and more efficient way of transportation.