FGCU Scores With Their First Annual Block Party

Jessica Piland/FGCU Athletics
Uju Ezeudu (24) of the women’s basketball team makes her entrance to the Basketball Block Party held on Thursday, October 26, 2023.

FGCU hosted its first-ever “Basketball Block Party” on Thursday, Oct. 26. This event allowed students to get acclimated with the FGCU men’s and women’s basketball teams in preparation of the upcoming 2023-2024 season.

Check-ins began at 5:30 p.m, while the block party officially kicked off at 6:00 p.m. FGCU Cheerleading walked out to hype up the crowd first before team introductions started 10 minutes later.

Michael Hankerson, known on stage as DJ M Dot, performed these introductions and played music that broadcasted throughout the whole event.

This event included a 3-on-3 tournament and a dunk contest. In between activities, students had the chance to win $25 gift cards or grab burritos, drinks and ice cream. 

The FGCU Dancing E’Gals entertained the crowd during this intermission, leading into both of the contests.

Pi Kappa Alpha won the 3-on-3 competition against fan-favorite Cheesewizz before the dunk contest got underway.

Carter Brewster, athletic trainer for women’s basketball, was the winner of the dunk contest during the Basketball Block Party on Thursday, October 26, 2023. (Jessica Piland/FGCU Athletics)

The dunk contest involved a representative from the final two teams that competed against each other in the 3-on-3 contest. This led to props and tricks being brought out and it was the most anticipated moment of the night.

Carter Brewster, athletic trainer for the FGCU women’s basketball team, took home the win in the dunk contest and brought a close to the FGCU Block Party.

“I think one of the biggest contests that we see in the NBA and like an all-star game, the dunk contest, might pop out with some of FGCU’s players,”  sophomore Gabe Souza said. “They can be more involved in this so we can see more and learn a little bit more about them.” Many students saw the block party as a hit in its first-ever iteration. However, there are those looking for improvement in its next iteration.

“I think this is a really good first test run. So I think doing it again next year or you know, doing it when the season is closer. I think that’d be really good,” freshman Alexander Pebworth said.

Both teams begin their season on the road, as the men’s basketball team will play at Indiana on Nov. 7 and the women’s basketball team will play at Brown and USC on Nov. 6 and 10. The men’s basketball team’s first home game is against Ave Maria on Nov. 10. The women’s basketball team’s first home game is against FIU on Nov. 14.

A student tries his shot at a half-court shot to win a gift card during the Basketball Block Party on Thursday, October 26, 2023. (Jessica Piland/FGCU Athletics)