FGCU Women’s Soccer Shuts Out Austin Peay on Pink Out Night

Jessica Piland/FGCU Athletics

FGCU women’s soccer defeated the Austin Peay Governors 2-0 last night on a pink out for Beat Cancer Night at Pickering Field.

The Eagles were coming off a 1-1 draw this past Sunday against Queens from North Carolina as they continued through their long stretch of home games.

It was a dominant performance from the Eagles, but they struggled getting shots on target despite many opportunities to strike first. Eventually, that would finally change later on in the second half.

The Eagles were very aggressive on offense with a total of 24 shots split evenly between both halves. However, only nine of those were placed on target.

Junior midfielder Ashley Labbe finally put the Eagles on the board just before the 67th minute as her shot went in just below the crossbar to give FGCU a 1-0 lead. Sophomore midfielder Erika Zschuppe assisted on the goal, Labbe’s third goal of the season and second in two games.

Zschuppe wasn’t done yet as she scored a goal of her own a little later in the 77th minute, which extended the lead to 2-0 Eagles. Juniors Katharina Oelschlaeger and Reese Mendenhall assisted on the goal, Zschuppe’s sixth goal of the season and tied for the most on the team.

The Governors were more aggressive on offense in the second half than the first half, but it wasn’t enough for Austin Peay. FGCU freshman goalkeeper Olivia Molina had six saves and recorded her seventh shutout of the season. She is now 13 saves away from breaking the all time record for FGCU’s most single season saves at 85.

After last night, FGCU now sits at second place in the ASUN Conference standings with a record of 5-1-1 in conference play and an overall record of 8-4-2, while Austin Peay sits in fifth.

The Eagles will have their next and final home game on Sunday, October 8. It will be Senior Day against the Lipscomb Bisons. The game will have high stakes around it as it will be a battle of the number one and number two teams in the ASUN. The Bisons are in first place in the ASUN standings and are undefeated in conference play at 7-0. Lipscomb has already clinched an ASUN Championship berth, the first team to do so. FGCU looks to join them shortly by clinching an ASUN Championship berth of their own.