UPD Beat: Professor Kicks Student Out of the Classroom Because of a PowerPoint Presentation

Week of Jan. 31 – Feb. 5
Adriana Hall

On Feb. 1, Unit 12 found a running vehicle parked on the third floor of Garage 3 after-hours. Police found marijuana, a grinder and rolling papers after searching the vehicle. The single occupant was found with the grinder on their leg and a green leafy substance on their sweatshirt. The vehicle contained 7.0 grams of the green leafy substance and four rolled marijuana joints for a total weight of 2.1 grams. The grinder also had substance residue. An FIC warning was given to the occupant for being in the garage after hours and for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. 

A complaint was made to UPD on Feb. 1 about an empty vehicle in the grass in front of Garage 1. Two attempts were made to contact the registered owner of the vehicle over the phone. However, police were unable to make contact. Reds Towing was called to remove the vehicle. 

UPD was notified about a license plate recognition (LPR) notification about a stolen license plate tag on Feb. 1. The stolen license plate matched a silver truck or SUV traveling on South Village Blvd. Units 13, 39 and 52 began canvassing the area of South Village. Unit 39 located the vehicle in Lot 8. Officers contacted LCSO and confirmed the correct registered owner of the vehicle made the initial complaint. The owner has two plates, one on the front and one on the back. Units confirmed that the one on the front of the vehicle is missing. UPD requested an update from LCSO about the LPR file that it is the front plate that is missing. LCSO stated that they cannot modify the file. UPD entered a comment reference for the case number and the information on the vehicle. 

On Feb. 1, an officer was requested outside of Biscayne Hall in South Village to handle a group of males with a sign stating, “Ban women from driving club coming soon.” Unit 39 advised that the subjects left the area. Officers met with the complainant who stated that the subjects had a sign posted in the lawn area outside of Biscayne Hall. Student engagement was contacted, and it was confirmed there is not a club request or approval for the group. 

A complainant requested to speak with an officer regarding an incident in a classroom in Marieb Hall on Feb. 1. The officer noted that Units 39 and 52 spoke with the complainant and said the assistant to a dean and a professor had filed a complaint about three students asking to do a presentation of a new club on campus. The professor allowed the students to give a presentation, however, as the presentation began the professor found it inappropriate and kicked the three students out of her class. One of the individuals left their phone in the classroom which the complainant brought to UPD. It was explained to the complainant that the PowerPoint presentation did not break any laws or require police action. The complainant was advised to have the professor speak with the dean of her department for further assistance with individuals in her class who are not registered. 

Two grinders and a loose green leafy substance were found in a vehicle on FGCU Blvd North on Feb. 1. A citation was issued for failure to obey a traffic control device. A warning was completed for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. The field tested positive for a total of 2.7 grams of marijuana. 

A complainant came into UPD on Feb. 1 asking to speak with an officer. He stated that he is being threatened by a girl’s mother, who he was trying to pursue a romantic relationship with. The mom made statements threatening to slash the complainant’s tires. No crime has been committed. The complainant blocked both the subject’s numbers and their social media. The mother does not know where he lives on campus or what type of vehicle he drives. 

In Garage B in South Village, Unit 45 was made aware of a female screaming and being chased by a male on Feb. 3. The complainant stated they only heard a female screaming but did not see anything or anyone. Unit 30 contacted the two student residents on the fifth floor of the parking garage. The students were boyfriend and girlfriend and having a verbal dispute. Both students stated they were just arguing. No injuries or unusual issues were observed.

On Feb. 5, UPD was advised about damage to a restroom on the second floor of Sugden Hall. Unit 39 spoke with the complainant who showed the damage at the entryway of the men’s restroom on the wall and damage to the beam in the handicap stall. Work management was contacted to place a work order for repairs.