UPD Beat: Alligator the Length of a Car Found on Campus

Adriana Hall

On Feb. 6, a parent requested a welfare check on their student because they were unable to contact them. The officer contacted the student and asked them to contact the complainant. The student did not wish to speak to their mother and requested that UPD only tell them that she was okay and nothing more. 

A car was found with the passenger window broken near the Pelican dorm building in North Lake Village on Feb. 8. The complainant did not know if anything was taken from the vehicle that was parked on the side of the building. Unit 45 confirmed that no theft occurred. Officers noticed that the vehicle parked behind the complainant’s vehicle had a dash camera. Dispatch contacted the owner of the vehicle and they met with Unit 45 to speak about viewing the dash camera footage. Officers advised there was a second vehicle that might possibly have video footage. Dispatch called the owner of the vehicle and left a voicemail. The owner of the vehicle called back and said they did not have a dash camera. Unit 45 advised the time lapse was 7 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. The Physical Plant sent a worker to clean up the broken glass. 

A complaint came to UPD about a battery that occurred on and off campus on Feb. 8. The complainant believed the incident to be sexual, however, after speaking with Unit 50 it was determined to be a simple battery. An incident report was completed, and a sworn statement was given.

On Feb. 10, a white male was walking around the Oak dorm building at North Lake Village. He was trying to gain entry to the dorm rooms by knocking on doors and jiggling handles. He was described as 5-foot-10-inches tall and wearing all-black clothing. No entry was made to any of the apartments. A field interview card was completed. 

An alligator the length of a car was found in a ditch near the fire exit of the Aquatics Center on Feb. 10. Unit 49 noted that the alligator was near a storm drain and not bothering anyone. Unit 39 advised the alligator is where it is supposed to be now. 

A complaint was made to UPD on Feb. 10 to report a driver who was actively smoking marijuana while driving. The complaint provided UPD with a description of the vehicle and the license plate number. Unit 47 located the vehicle on Lake Parkway West and could smell the marijuana. A vehicle search was conducted. The subject provided valid Florida medical marijuana ID information. She stated there were items in the car. The officer located a small amount of marijuana outside of the medical container and it was placed back into the correct bottle. The medical marijuana laws were explained to the subject. The passenger of the vehicle said she would drive. A warning was completed for not having marijuana in the prescribed bottle. All other items were returned since the individual has a prescription.