UPD Beat: Officers Receive a Report About a Possible Extortion

Adriana Hall

On Nov. 17, officers responded to a call from a student in North Lake Village about being harassed by a male subject. She said she no longer felt safe walking from the Oak dorm building to the Ackert Community Center. She requested an officer to escort her there. 

UPD received a call from a student about another individual yelling racial slurs at her friend on Nov. 19. Units arrived at Palmetto Hall in South Village to meet with the driver who stated his friend was the one who said the slur while sitting in the passenger seat. The subject stated he did not recall saying any racial slurs. 

A call was made to UPD on Nov. 20 about an individual loitering around Palmetto Hall and leaving things in the lobby area. This individual was described as a white male wearing a white hat, gray hoodie and drawstring backpack. Units made contact with the subject at SoVi Dining. The individual then relocated to Starbucks in the FGCU library to wait for an Uber. 

A complainant reported to UPD on Nov. 20 regarding possible extortion. She advised the officer that she sent nude photos and videos to someone over Snapchat believing she would receive $1000 for them. The individual then blocked her on Snapchat. 

A janitorial employee from the USSI was stuck in an elevator in parking garage 2 on Nov. 21. Lee Control was notified, Ladder 53 came to assist and the individual was able to get out of the elevator. A work order was submitted regarding the elevator.

Officers responded to a report about a stolen vehicle on Nov. 25. The vehicle was found in Parking Garage 1. The complainant was reunited with the vehicle. 

On Nov. 26, a citation was issued at the stop sign by Eagle Hall by the South Bridge loop. A criminal citation was then also issued for the individual driving without a driver’s license and never having had one. 

On Nov. 28, police were advised that a white male seemed to be in distress and banging his head on an elevator in Griffin Hall. When contact was attempted, the male subject left the building. UPD was unable to get the name of the subject and was unable to get any information about the subject when they spoke with him. 

UPD received a call on Nov. 28 from a student on their way to their dorm when they saw another individual lying down in a parking space wearing a blue hoodie with the hood up and tightened over their face. UPD units canvassed the area but were unable to find the individual.