Double standard in entertainment

By Olga Perez Communication, senior
I am writing in regard to the article “Entertainment’s double standard strikes Miley.” As I read the article, I also felt to a certain extent the entertainment world does have a double standard. After seeing MTV’s Video Music Awards, many questioned and criticized Miley Cyrus’ performance with Robin Thicke. The point made in the article about Miley taking most of the heat from the public is unfair, and I agree with this. Robin didn’t receive as much criticism for his actions on stage, even though he is married with children. I believe both Cyrus and Thicke should take the heat for the performance. A married man dancing on stage with a young girl “twerking” on him is not what I would even call a performance. Therefore to me, both Cyrus and Thicke were unacceptable on stage. Cyrus was also dropped from the front cover of Vogue because of her performance. Although I do see where the public might put more heat on Cyrus. Her latest actions have been inappropriate, so many people are just fed up with her. There have been other cases in the entertainment world where we do see a double standard. The second example given in the article was Kristen Stewart’s affair with Rupert Sanders. She was dropped from the movie sequel “Snow White and the Huntsman” after news came out about the affair. I am not saying that these young women’s actions are appropriate, but if women are to be criticized, men should also face the same consequences.