Eagles need to show up to campus sports events

By Tianyu Bao
Junior, communication
Florida Gulf Coast University’s Athletic Department hosted its annual pep rally, Eagles Revolution, at the beginning of this semester. I noticed that Alico Arena was filled up completely by the students, which was pretty awesome. I also noticed that our student fan group, the Dirty Birds, had to do a pledge before becoming a member.
All 2,300 Dirty Bird members pledged, among other things, the following: “I will be at Alico Arena,” “I will be at Swanson Stadium” and “I will be in the soccer stands, and at all the FGCU sports venues.”
I am a varsity tennis player at FGCU, and I go to nearly every sports event here. To be honest, I count an average of 50 to 100 Dirty Birds at the volleyball and soccer games this semester so far.
Where y’all at, Dirty Birds?
It is disheartening to see most of my fellow students not showing some support to their school teams. As a student athlete, I love to see students come out to the games and show some school spirit; it makes our experience on the court much more enjoyable, and most importantly, it is a great experience for all of you guys. Don’t y’all want to see our school dominate in every sport?
In order for FGCU to be the national powerhouse in every sport, we need your support. All you have to do is to follow the Dirty Birds pledge, show up, be loud and protect the nest. Really, it makes a huge difference.
Thank you, and go Eagles.