Women’s soccer begins postseason play in No. 1 seed

The FGCU women’s soccer team advanced to the postseason for the sixth consecutive year as the No. 1 seeded team in the conference tournament. The road to a fourth tournament title and bid to the NCAA tournament won’t be an easy one.
With a 6-0-1 record in the A-Sun, FGCU almost finished the conference season with its schedule unblemished; however, a draw with Jacksonville on Oct. 2 would throw a monkey wrench in its attempt at a second consecutive perfect season.
FGCU, which has 19 points to Lipscomb’s 18 this season, narrowly claimed the No. 1 seed in the tournament after defeating Lipscomb in Tennessee, 2-1 in overtime two weeks ago.
Lipscomb could be the Eagles’ biggest obstacle this weekend.
FGCU’s record, which includes wins over Wake Forest, Dayton and Ole Miss (23 RPI) in the regular season, earned an RPI of 90. Lipscomb isn’t far behind at 109 with wins against Akron, Ball State (76 RPI) and a draw against Tennessee (65 RPI).
Last year, FGCU beat Kennesaw State in the championship final, advancing to the NCAA tournament and hosting Auburn. FGCU was knocked out of its fourth tournament with a 1-0 loss.
In 2013, FGCU went into penalty kicks following a scoreless overtime against No. 2 Jacksonville in the championship final, falling 5-3 in penalty kicks.
FGCU will begin post-season play in Fort Myers on Friday night against No. 5 Stetson in the Atlantic Sun Tournament semifinals. The two Florida schools faced off last week in DeLand, where FGCU toppled the Hatters with a 6-1 win to close out the regular season with an 11-5-2 record, 6-0-1 in conference. Friday’s game will be held at 7 p.m. following the No. 2 Lipscomb vs. No. 3 Jacksonville game.