Don’t focus on negatives of game-day parking

Wes Sargent, Public Relations; Minor: Management; Senior
I am writing to voice my opinion on the game-day parking situation relating to the basketball games, based on the Eagle News article, “Game-day parking: Students crying foul” that ran on Oct. 17.
After last spring’s spectacular run by the Florida Gulf Coast University basketball team in the tournament, we have experienced all kinds of publicity for the university. This is a great thing for not only FGCU athletics, but also for the entire university. The fact that students are getting so worked up over a slight inconvenience in parking in North Lake is a little absurd. It is extremely exciting that we are anticipating the high number of fans expected to attend these games, and it is going to benefit the university as a whole immensely.
Speaking as a student involved with FGCU athletics, I am excited that we have to make accommodations for parking because of the popularity of our athletics. This popularity will in turn bring the university more money and with more money they will be able to potentially add a parking garage in North Lake and that will solve this problem. We are such a new university and a young athletic program, so we are going to have to make sacrifices on our way to the top. North Lake residences need to look at this situation from the bigger point of view and not their own selfish point of view. Keep supporting our athletics. Go Eagles!