Pop Culture Weekly Recap (01/20/2016)

Rowan Blanchard of ‘Girl Meets World’ announces she identifies as queer via Twitter Rowan_Blanchard_2013 (1)
Rowan Blanchard of the Disney Channel TV series “Girl Meets World” announced through Twitter that she self-identifi es as queer, quoted, “In my life — only ever liked boys however I personally don’t wanna label myself as straight, gay or whateva so I’m not gonna give myself labels to stick with — just existing.” Blanchard is known for being a resilient rights activist, even at a young age. She said that she would love to see her character Riley be the means of LGBTQ representation on GMW. “It’s (very) important to me, being queer, that there is representation on our show,” said Blanchard in reply to a comment on her tweet.
Fangirl dates former Disney Channel actor Jake T. Austin 
Dreams really did come true for one dedicated Jake T. Austin fan. Danielle Caesar, 22, had been Twitter-stalking Austin’s page for almost six years before the couple went official, posting a photo of the two kissing on Instagram that Austin captioned, “I’m crazy for her.”jake-austin
Caesar persistently tweeted at Austin, everything from “I get so excited for Mondays because of the Fosters 🙂 @JakeTAustin @dglambert @MaiaMitchell” to “Apples and peanut butter is amazing @JakeTAustin.”
For those who know the process of social cliques, the idea of Caesar and former Disney Channel star Austin ending up together seemed highly unlikely, especially with more than 3.6 million Twitter followers. In 2011, however, the impossible became a reality, and Caesar met Austin for the first time at a signing in New York. Shortly after, Austin followed Caesar on Twitter.
Many fans expressed their excitement, or dismay, via other social outlets, calling out their favorite celebrities and vowing their future relationships with Harry Styles, Justin Bieber and others.
“We’re young and having fun just getting to know each other,” said Austin via his representative. “It doesn’t matter how you meet someone — on set, in a coffee shop, at school, or in the business. Sometimes you connect with people at the right moment and you just click.”
Joe Jonas, DNCE to perform alongside Fox’s star-studded Grease: Live castdnce-band (1)
Joe Jonas and his new band DNCE will join Vanessa Hudgens, Jillian Houghe, Carlos PenaVega and other stars in the Fox production of “Grease: Live.” Following the plotline of the classic Grease (1987) movie, DNCE will be portraying Jonny Casino and the Gamblers, originally played by Sha Na Na. Additionally, Boys II Men will make an appearance as teen angels in the “Beauty School Dropout” scene. The performance will air Jan. 31, so be on the lookout for Jonas and his crew rocking “Born to Hand Jive.”
ABC Family gets a name changeFreeform
While the shows you love have stayed the same, ABC Family intends to reach out to a broader audience with its name change to Freeform. Viewers — or as the network has coined them, Becomers — can expect fresh, exciting content from the channel, as well as original ABC Family favorites. “Freeform evokes the spirit and adventure of our audience,” said network president Tom Ascheim in a statement. Freeform celebrated the change Jan. 12 with a day-long social event, featuring many partnerships and interactive ways for viewers to share their thoughts.
The new Freeform app offers on-the-go episodes, exclusive photo galleries and specially selected tweets and Instagram posts from talents.