First ‘Ghostbusters’ trailer brings back the slime

The first trailer for the highly anticipated “Ghostbusters” reboot has finally arrived. The all-female paranormal-hunting crew promises creepy ghosts, fancy weapons and plenty of slime.
The film takes place 30 years after the original crew saved Manhattan; as Kristen Wiig’s character explains when a spike of ghost sightings is happening around the city, “Someone is creating a device that amplifies paranormal activity.”
Wiig, Melissa McCarthy and Kate McKinnon play the three scientists that form the Ghostbusters before “Saturday Night Live” comedian Leslie Jones, a tough subway booth operator that knows the ins and outs of New York, joins them. Not only does Jones’ character know her New York she was able to supply the team with a car, her uncle’s funeral hearse that becomes the new Ecto-1.
The trailer does a great job of not giving too much of the movie away. We see the team get all slimed, learn how they’re best in their fields (physics and engineering), get a glimpse of the original story of the Ecto-1, and of course some Hollywood eye candy in the form of Chris Hemsworth playing the secretary.
Back in September of 2015, Bill Murray confirmed that him and fellow original Ghostbusters, Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd (but not Rick Moranis) are scheduled to make a cameo in the film, but as completely different characters. The only thing from the original “Ghostbusters” to make an appearance in the new trailer was the lovable green ghost Slimer.
Watching the trailer, I can tell that some scenes will pay tribute to the original film, such as the famous New York Public Library ghost scene but this is going to be an entirely different film.
In an interview with USA Today, director Paul Feig said “We wanted to plant a flag early. People don’t know what this movie is. It’s a whole different team. But it’s kind of fun leading off with something iconic from the original.”
The new “Ghostbusters” burst into theaters on July 15.