Both FGCU Men’s and Women’s Basketball Grab First Wins

FGCU Grabs First Win of the Season Against FAMU; EN Photo by Julia Bonavita

By Jake Henning
Sports Editor
It was a great night for the mens and womens basketball teams here at FGCU, as they both got their first wins of the season. Alico Arena saw its first action of the year with a set capacity of fans in attendance.
The women’s team started off the day with an astounding win over FAMU by a score of 80-46, being led by freshman Maddie Antenucci’s game-high 18 points. Antenucci hit two threes and also went 4-4 at the free throw line.
Antenucci also became the fourth true freshman to start her first collegiate game for the Eagles on Wednesday afternoon.
The Eagles took an early lead and continued to build on it throughout the game, with six players in double-digit points. Newcomer and transfer Andrea Cecil poured in 13 points, while shooting 5-10 from the field.
“It was good to get a game under our belt,” FGCU head coach Karl Smesko said. “We have a lot of new players, and a lot of them who are having their first college game.”
FGCU shot 40 percent from the field and an impressive 80 percent from the free throw line, missing only four shots at the line throughout the whole game.
The FGCU women’s team will be back on the court when they open up Gulf Coast Showcase’s Beach Bubble, hosting No. 25 Missouri State on Friday, No.14 Davidson on Saturday and Davidson on Sunday.
The FGCU men’s basketball game proved to be a tighter match for the squad, as the Eagles won by a tight margin of nine points, 65-56
Junior Caleb Catto was the scoring leader on the night, putting up 13 points and adding four rebounds, four steals and two assists to his state line. Catto continues to show his leadership on and off the court.
A back and forth first half slowly became close as FGCU pulled out to a 32-28 lead heading into the locker room. Dakota Rivers gave an efficient night for the Green and Blue, shooting 5-6 for 11 points and blocking two shots.
“Overall, a number of positive takeaways, but certainly a number of things that we’ll work to clean up now that we’ve got a live game under our belt,” said Head Coach Michael Fly.
The Eagles came storming out in the second half as they pulled away with a double digit lead and kept a steady lead for the rest of the night. FGCU closed the night out with a couple of flashy passes and massive dunks.
“I told our team after the game that a win is a win and that’s always a good thing,” said Coach Fly.
FGCU men’s basketball will host Florida National University at Alico Arena for their next game of the season on Saturday Dec. 5, starting at 7 p.m.