BoJack makes a comeback

Scene from the first episode of the Netflix original, BoJack Horseman.

Netflix has done it again.
The online streaming site kicked off yet another brilliant original series, “BoJack Horseman.” Like many of Netflix’s original shows, “BoJack Horseman” leaves you asking for more after finishing the whole series in one sitting.
As the title would suggest, the series follows the life of BoJack Horseman, a horse (well, horseman) and ’90s sitcom star “has-been” in his post stardom life in his bachelor pad. In the series, BoJack, voiced by Will Arnett, tries to regain the love and stardom he once had before a typical celebrity downward spiral chain of events of failed exploits, bad relationships and self-medicated remedies through publishing a book about his memoirs.
The single season, 12-episode series is set mostly in Los Angeles where humans and anthropomorphic animal-people coexist. BoJack is accompanied by his human freeloading roommate, Todd (voiced by Aaron Paul), cut-throat agent and ex-girlfriend Princess Carolyn the cat (Amy Sedaris), human ghost writer Diane Nguyen (Allison Brie) and an amiable canine and former sitcom rival, Mr. Peanutbutter (Paul F. Tompkins).
Through the first few episodes, you can expect what you would see from any typical adult-swim-style satirical animated comedy. The show nails gritty one-liners and clever pop culture spins on the animal-human hybrid world (Quentin Tarantulino for example. Yes, he’s a tarantula). However, as the show goes on, the plot starts to take an unexpected turn and begins to highlight some darker themes. You will find yourself rooting for the once unlikable sitcom wash-up.
Overall the show is pretty funny and worth a watch. If you love puns, cynical and gritty humor, pop culture references, depth, and,  again, more puns than you can imagine, this is a show you’ll love.
“BoJack Horseman” is already renewed for a second season after it’s initial release Aug. 22.