Spring semester movie preview

MV5BMjIyOTYxMjM0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTE2NTI3MzE@._V1_SX214_AL_
Jan. 30

Project Almanac”
“Chronicle” meets time travel in this newest entry into the found footage genre. Several teens discover one’s father’s research for DARPA and it takes them into the past, where they fix the mistakes they’ve made in school and have a little fun. However, they realize their trips may be causing larger disasters, so the race begins to undo the damage while not erasing their new lives.
jupiter
Feb. 6
“Jupiter Ascending”
The Wachowskis (“The Matrix”) direct Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis in a sci-fi tale about recovering a lost heir to an empire of the stars. Expect gorgeous visuals and heavy Eastern philosophy.
king
Feb. 13
“Kingsman: The Secret Service”
A ne’er-do-well ruffian is recruited by a friend of his father’s to be a member of a secret spy organization. The bad guys are Samuel L. Jackson and a chick with swords for feet, so there you go. The original comic was written by Mark Millar (“Kick-Ass,” “Wanted”), and the film is directed by Matthew Vaughn (“X-Men: First Class”), so expect a lot of crazy action, mixed with a lot of humor.
50
Feb. 13
“Fifty Shades of Grey”
The book that spawned/misunderstood a slew of BDSM fetishes is finally coming to the big screen. Christian Grey is a wealthy young playboy who spends his nights performing bondage and domination (as opposed to fighting crime, unfortunately). He enters into an odd relationship with Ana, and together the two explore the kinkier side of sex.
McFarland,_USA_poster
Feb. 20
“McFarland, USA”
Kevin Costner, having exhausted all other sports, leads yet another athletic drama, this time about high school cross country runners. As the new P.E. teacher in town, he gathers together a group of Hispanic boys who work the fields and turns them into champions. Or maybe they lose, but they’re winners at heart.
hot tub
Feb. 20
“Hot Tub Time Machine 2”
The gang returns, this time going into the future to identify an assassin who manages to shoot one of them (Rob Cordry) in the present. Hijinks ensue.
chappie
March 6
“Chappie”
When an inventor creates a robot with true artificial intelligence, he encourages it to find its own humanity, all while numerous factions attempt to hunt it down.
cinderella
March 13
“Cinderella”
A pretty straight-forward retelling of the classic Disney version of the story. As opposed to other “darker” fairy-tale movies, this one seems to maintain a lot of the whimsy and optimism of the most famous iteration.
the gunman
March 20
“The Gunman”
Sean Penn and Javier Bardem are directed in this assassin thriller by the director of “Taken.” Penn plays a gun for hire who discovers he’s being used to advance an agenda outside of his ethics. His attempts to expose his employer lead to the kidnapping of his love, and the assassin makes his move to rescue her and kill those responsible for her capture.
get hard
March 27
“Get Hard” 
Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart team up for this comedy about white-collar crime. When Ferrell’s character is sentenced to go to prison, he hires the man who washes his car (Hart) to help him prepare. Hart sees the opportunity and grabs it, actually being a simple, hardworking husband.