FGCU men and women return to the court this week

Men’s tennis
The Florida Gulf Coast University men’s tennis team (6-2) starts competition again after a two-week break this Saturday. The team will face the University of Central Florida (7-6) at home and will head to California to play Cal Poly (5-3) on March 3.
UCF is ranked No. 72 and is coming off back-to-back wins against New Mexico State and Mercer. The Knights swept Mercer 7-0 and defeated New Mexico State 5-2. The Knights are led by sophomores Chris Barrus and Reece Acree. Barrus is 8-2 in singles and Acree is 5-3.
After the Eagles play UCF, they will go to California to compete against Cal Poly. The Dons are undefeated at home and won their last two matches. They defeated No. 58 New Mexico 4-3 and San Francisco 4-3. The team is led by sophomore Ben Donovan, who is 10-6 in singles. Sophomore Garrett Auproux was just named the Big West Conference Men’s Tennis Athlete of the Week and is 8-8 overall for the season in singles.
Women’s Tennis
The Florida Gulf Coast University women’s tennis team (2-7) heads to Miami to play Florida International University (2-5) on Saturday and will then host Notre Dame (6-3) on March 10.
FIU is coming off of two losses against No. 57 Boston College and No. 63 Brown this past weekend. The team is led by senior Yana Koroleva. She is 12-7 for the season. Sophomore Nina Nagode also leads the Panthers with a 14-6 record in singles.
After competing against FIU, the team will prepare for Notre Dame. Notre Dame is coming off of two wins this past weekend. They defeated Louisville 4-3 on Friday and followed that victory with a 4-3 win over Pittsburg on Sunday. The Irish are ranked No. 26 and are led by junior Quinn Gleason who is 7-5 in singles and by freshman Allison Miller who is 13-6.
The Eagles are coming off of a 6-1 loss to No. 9 University of Miami (4-2) on Friday. The team lost the doubles point early in the match and did not come back in singles play. Junior Johanna Sterkel was the only player to come off with a 7-6, 7-5 win in singles.