SPIOP speakers advise graduate applicants at last event of the semester

Students Promoting Industrial and Organizational Psychology held its last event of the year on Thursday, March 24. The organization invited guest speakers to offer advice on writing resumes and applying for graduate school.
The event kicked off with food and drinks to celebrate the last event of the year for SPIOP.  The attendees included students focusing in industrial and organizational psychology as well students majoring in other disciplines.
The event was presented by the SPIOP advisor, psychology professor Terence Leary, and Gerald Schoenfeld, a professor in the Lutgert College of Business at FGCU. Schoenfeld was the event’s first guest speaker, who focused on giving students valuable advice for their resumes and how to increase their chances of getting interviews.
“The key thing to getting a job is first getting that interview,” Schoenfeld said. “To get that interview, you need that resume.”
Schoenfeld broke down the different components of resumes and spoke in detail about each component. Advice was given on which parts are most important and what to include in those areas of a resume.
“We are glad that students got out of it a lot information regarding resumes and how to prepare for not just graduate school, but for their future experiences,” SPIOP president Chad Gessner said.
The event also included a panel of FGCU students who are graduating with degrees in psychology and are about to attend graduate school. The soon-to-be grad students spoke about their own experience as FGCU students and what led them to attending graduate school. Each offered his or her own advice on applying for master’s programs and how to optimize the chances of being accepted. The panel also answered questions from students in the audience.
“Overall, I thought it went great,” Gessner said. “Dr. Shonefeld did a great job.  Having the perspective grad students come in brought a lot of diversity to it.”
SPIOP holds this event every year for students in all majors to come and listen to relevant and valuable advice from professors and fellow students.
“As a group, we provide this every year,” Gessnar said. “And, that’s why we went all out with the food. We wanted to make the end of the year something special.”