Music is the Elixir of Happiness

Photo by Unsplash

Konstantinos Vranishti, Contributing Writer

Music, the 12 notes in every octave that entertain people, heal the pain, unite the world and express emotions in the most efficient way. When words fail, music takes action and our cosmos becomes a better place. 

Music is the magical art that connects the words with melody– the immaterial soul of humans with their material being. This sound becomes notes that dare to say what lips have never been able to express freely.

Music is a refuge for all those who are trapped in the social decency imposed by a savage system without mercy, concessions or even the right of an esoteric revolution. In a silent world full of rules, music only knows how to make noise, to awaken, to arouse and to motivate people.

Since ancient times, human beings have needed to cultivate their soul and entertain their spirit with the sounds of a harp, a flute or an aulos. Music can cleanse sinners, calm the troubled, inspire lovers who cannot find words to express themselves and unite those who speak different languages. It is universal and common to all.

As a student at FGCU, I wake up every morning with a melody, a song that makes me happy and can give me a boost to start my day in the most positive way. I listen to a song that motivates me, minimizes my stress from my daily responsibilities and fills me with strength and a myriad of good vibes. Music reminds me of who I am and where I want to go.

Music is not math, chemistry or physics. It’s an abstract art that I do not always have to understand. I just let myself be enchanted by it until it speaks to my psyche, and then, all the notes are decoded. The complex arithmetical equation, the incomprehensible chemical compound, the elusive physical law about the magnetic force finds their solution in an inexplicable way.

Music is not addressed to smart people, but to wide-open souls that may bleed, palpitate, agonize or thrive. It is a therapy without antibiotics and offers hymns as the elixir of immortality to all those who have been sacrificed for their ideals.

For me, melody can be pandemonium or serenity, Babel or New Jerusalem– all these mixed and antithetical emotions a young individual seeks until finding a destination.

This rhythmical succession of tones can reduce our heart rate into balanced levels, to release endocrines that are responsible for facilitating our well-being and to lower psychobiological stress, according to the National Institutes of Health.

From classic to jazz, pop, rock or metal, music is an anthology of melodic poems that magically identifies with our temperament.

From Puccini, Beethoven and Vivaldi of the bygone era, to Beyonce, Drake and Taylor Swift of our times, all these different genres evolved, tested and shaped according to the needs of their audience. Music has always been universal, created by some phenomenal artists who wanted to make a gift, perhaps the best one, to humankind.

How many times have you mentally traveled just because of a sound that subliminally connects you to a specific event in your life? The first time I met my best friend, we happened to listen to “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi, and since that day, the song has become our favorite one. Even today, when we live in different countries, I put the song on play and remember the wonderful moments I’ve spent with my best friend.

During the history of music, there have been written unique lyrics that marked entire epochs with their dynamics and deeper work in a complete melody. All-time classic lyrics that describe love stories, painful times, or happiness, such as “Imagine” by John Lennon and “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen.

Maya Angelo once said, “Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.”

Music is indeed therapeutic. It can move people on and connect them in a way that no other means can do. For me, without music, the world would be like a spring day without flowers.