University Offers Computer Labs for Future Designers

Alberto Zarate
One of the two computer labs on campus located in Lucas 303.

As a digital media design (DMD) major, having access to Adobe Creative Cloud is a requirement for completing my assignments. FGCU provides two rooms with computers that have an Adobe Creative Cloud license, which includes Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro and other products. The rooms are a fantastic opportunity for students in the DMD program to access Adobe products and get their projects done. 

As a student of the DMD program, I can access the rooms myself to work on projects. Room 250 in Reed Hall and room 230 in Lucas Hall have computers that contain the licenses and programs. The computers are mainly Macs, but there are also some Windows computers. This is great for students who are more accustomed to Windows. 

Additionally, students who are further along in their DMD courses are available to assist others who are new to the software and have any questions. Student helpers will be in Lucas Hall on Thursdays and Fridays from 4:30 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. and on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Reed Hall during the same hours. They can provide insight into how to improve projects and learn new techniques. This allows students to get extra help as they work on all the projects required by their courses and prepares them for their careers in the digital and graphic design fields.  

Many DMD students enjoy the perks of having access to these facilities to complete their projects without having to purchase the software for themselves. This is helpful to students who possibly cannot afford the software needed for their class projects. Having free access to Adobe Creative products also provides students with every opportunity to complete each required assignment, including those in online courses. I bought the Adobe Creative Cloud so that I do not have to use the room, but I have group projects in my DMD courses with peers who have not bought the products for themselves. The rooms allow my project partners and me to have a place to meet and work.

Although DMD students have access to the rooms, students who are not in the DMD program cannot access the rooms without permission. However, that can be worked out with the professors and heads of the DMD program. If all students had full access, they could use the room whenever they need to, and complete projects and assignments for classes unrelated to DMD or even for personal purposes. Having these spaces for students to work on their projects helps students move forward in the design process and gives them a portfolio to show future clients.

There are other Mac labs in the library but there are only two rooms that have Adobe products, and the rooms are far apart. As the DMD program increases, I hope that there will be more rooms and computers that have Adobe Creative products to ensure that every student can succeed in creating and refining their projects. Also, it may be necessary to add extra time to use Adobe products to help students in their future careers in the different industries connected to the digital media design program.