New hire polices new policy

With more and more national attention on Title IX regarding harassment and sexual misconduct, Florida Gulf Coast University has hired its very own Title IX coordinator and is revamping its standing policy on discrimination and anti-harassment.
FGCU Chief of Staff Susan Evans said Brandon Washington will act as the director of institutional equity and compliance and Title IX coordinator.
“His background and experience with the Federal Office of Civil Rights will be invaluable to the university and provide a significant level of expertise,” Evans said. “He is eager to get to know our students, faculty and staff and serve the campus community as a resource.”
Washington’s responsibilities will include handling complaints of gender-based discrimination, ensuring that sexual misconduct cases are handled effectively by the university, and monitoring sex discrimination and sexual misconduct investigations.
Title IX is a law that prohibits gender-based discrimination in educational settings.
Along with this new position, FGCU’s Office of General Counsel has also made some changes to Policy 1.006, which addresses discrimination and anti-harassment.
One change is the addition of “sexual misconduct” to the title of the policy. Evans said this was done so that people have “one document to go to for all such matters … to be more clear and helpful to anyone who avails himself or herself of the policy’s provisions regarding rights and process.”
Another major change of the policy is that it shortens the length of time the university has to investigate allegations of discrimination, harassment or sexual misconduct from 90 days to 60, unless there is an “extenuating circumstance.”

“FGCU always has been committed to setting and fostering a tone of civility and respect on our campus, and we will continue this important emphasis,” Evans said.
Students have until 5 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 14 to give feedback on the policy changes the Office of General Counsel would like to make. The policy can be viewed at fgcu.edu/generalcounsel, and feedback should be sent to [email protected].

In addition, Washington is looking for two students to sit on the Title IX Advisory Committee. Interested students should send a 100-word explanation about why he or she would be a good committee member to [email protected] by 5 p.m. Jan. 14.