1 dead, 5 injured at ZombiCon in downtown Fort Myers

A shooting killed one person and wounded five others at the ZombiCon festival in Downtown Fort Myers on Saturday night. Fort Myers Police initially reported that the four surviving victims were taken to the Lee Memorial Hospital and their injuries are not expected to be life-threatening. As of 11:30 a.m. Sunday, FMPD reported that a sixth victim suffered from a non-threatening gunshot wound (laceration) and refused medical attention.
According to authorities, the shooting happened around 11:45 p.m on in front of the Capone’s Coal Fired Pizza restaurant at 2224 First Street, near the corner of First and Dean Street.
FMPD reports that Expavious Tyrell Taylor, 20, of Okeechobee died at the scene.
Video footage from attendees show crowds running away immediately following the sound of gunshots. The area was immediately closed off by police and downtown was shutdown.
As of Sunday morning, the shooter is still at large.
More than 20,000 people were expected to attend the ninth annual ZombiCon festival, and Zombicon, Pushing DaiZies, Inc. and police are asking for community help.
The organizers of Zombicon, Pushing DaiZies, Inc. released a statement at 3:18 a.m. Sunday morning via email about the shooting.
“We take the safety of our patrons very seriously and take precautions in hiring security and police officers for our annual event,” states Rachel Telfor, security coordinator.
“Our prayers go out to the family members and individuals involved in the incident,” said Janet DeMarco, founder. “We are extremely confident in the Fort Myers Police Department and the actions they are taking to apprehend the assailant.  Their response was quick an efficient to the incident.”
Police are requesting attendees to come forward with videos, photos and any other witness of accounts of the shooting, in order to help find the culprit. They are asking anyone with information to call the Fort Myers Police Department at (239) 321-7700, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS or text message C-R-I-M-E-S (274637) Keyword FMPD. Anyone who phones or texts in can remain anonymous.