Select Page

‘Burnt cooking material’ closes McTarnaghan Hall

McTarnaghan Hall was closed from 12:15 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday afternoon due to smoke distribution from burnt cooking material.

“We found it to be some material in the microwave — cooking material,” said Glen Vanbrunt, the division chief for fire training at Lee County Fire Department.

The material in the microwave was not identified and did not catch fire. Smoke from the event, originating in room 211, went through the building’s heating and air conditioning unit, resulting in evacuation.

McTarnaghan Hall has since opened back up to students, faculty and staff.

About The Author

Aiden Strawhun

Aiden Strawhun, infamously known as “Ginger,” is a sophomore at FGCU majoring in journalism and minoring in creative writing. Originally hailing from Nixa, Missouri, Aiden has joined Eagle News to be the ultimate word nerd. When she’s not writing or editing, she can be found binge gaming on the latest releases or drowning her sorrows in Asian cooking.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.