Rapper Marcus Hopsin releases ILL Mind of Hopsin 8 following his walk from Funk Volume

Following rapper Marcus Hopsin’s walk from his independent label, Funk Volume (FV), he has released his new single “ILL Mind of Hopsin 8.”
The video was published on YouTube Mar. 8 and follows the creative storyline of a court case between Hopsin and the record label he founded. He blatantly calls out his friends and former colleagues in his rap, explaining that change is inevitable and that friends come and go.
Known for his real-life lyrics and no-bullshit rap style, Hopsin has gained a fanbase from albums like “Raw” and “Knock Madness” that have featured his creative rhymes and unique sound.
Earlier in the year, a feud between Hopsin and co-founder of FV, Damien Ritter, lead the rapper to post an explanatory photo and caption on Instagram for his fans. Hopsin admitted that the two had been having issues. He felt he was being underappreciated and disrespected.
Hopsin’s final thought on the issue challenged Ritter; if he didn’t leave FV first, Hopsin would.
“We started this whole FV s–t a year ago,” Hopsin said in the Instagram post. “But this man has all the sudden built the courage to disrespect me and tell me I don’t work hard when I’ve made him extremely wealthy over the years from my music… My heart will always rep FV, but as of right now, it’s not home for me as long as Dame is apart of it.”

Special to Eagle News.
Special to Eagle News.

In a Twitter post on Jan. 6, Hopsin posted that “Funk volume is officially dead now thanks to the monster Damien Ritter. There is nobody else to blame at all…”
In the video for ILL Mind of Hopsin 8, Hopsin is seen taking the stand in a court. He does not wear his signature white contact lenses – this might be a symbol of the seriousness of the issue.
The opening verse explains that Hopsin created FV and that he feels slighted by how Ritter has done him wrong.
“I’m the one who made the company all the millions, now you’ve got problems to deal with… See a couple weeks ago we was buds, and the crew that was killin’ s–t was us, till you turned on me homie that’s f–ked up.”
A scene depicting an impromptu press conference shows the hashtag #BLAMEDAME on the news runner. Hopsin directly questions Ritter’s motives for being the label’s manager, label owner and the accountant.
Hopsin gives a final goodbye to his friends, telling fellow artists Jarren Benton, Dizzy Write, DJ Hoppa, and SwizZz that he is going solo. An actor thought to be representing Ritter was taken away from the court in handcuffs.
Special to Eagle News.
Special to Eagle News.

The video concludes with a motivational speech, voiced over a photomontage of Hopsin and his friends.
“What worked five years ago might not work today… We should constantly evaluate our friendships… Everybody is not supposed to be in our lives forever. If you never get rid of the wrong friends, you will never meet the right friends.”