FGCU’s reopening plan under review today

Julia Bonavita

By Samantha Roesler
Eagle News Editor
UPDATE 06/09 9:45 a.m.- The BOT has approved FGCU’s COVID-19 reopening plan with no changes to be made. Approval from the Florida Board of  Governors still needed.
FGCU’s draft plan for reopening under COVID-19 conditions will be reviewed by the Board of Trustees (BOT) today, according to an email sent by the university’s President Mike Martin, .
The 33-page-long draft covers every aspect of campus life that will affect both students and faculty.
The major adjustments that were mentioned in the draft include:

• FGCU’s currently intends for 50% of all courses to be offered in a face-to-face format with priority being given to:
    • Classes that heavily rely on “high-tough” experiential learning such as labs and clinicals
    • Classes that are mainly taken by new FGCU students
    • Classes that are senior seminars or capstone experiences
  • All courses will prepare for the possibility of 100% remote instruction and students will be provided with technology training through Canvas starting June 15.
  • All FGCU students, faculty and staff will complete an online training to inform them of the COVID-19 health and safety practices.
  • To fulfill social distancing guidelines, technology may be used to simulcast to multiple classrooms to fulfill the social distancing guidelines while also effectively catering to the classes with a demonstration component.
  • Athletics will follow all NCAA and ASUN requirements for recruiting, workouts, practices and travel. Until further notice, all athletic facilities will remained locked throughout the day and only authorized users will be allowed inside.
  • CAPS will continue to offer limited in-person sessions.

The entirety of FGCU’s COVID-19 Fall 2020 Semester Plan can be found here.
If the draft plan is approved by FGCU’s BOT, it will be submitted to the Florida Board of Governors for approval on June 23.