Looking for a shuttle? There’s an app for that

After years of promises and pushbacks, Florida Gulf Coast University is finally releasing an addition to its current app, which will allow students to track where the school’s shuttles are. Originally proposed by Student Government in the 2012-2013 school year, the service, available to both Apple and Android users, is finally making its debut this fall. With tracking devices on each shuttle, the location of any one at any time will be able to be seen with this application.
Previous administration wasn’t able to deliver on this proposed idea due to out-of-reach costs.
Student Government Vice President Cory Mentzer said “the original price proposed was not reasonable, and was turned down by Senate twice.” Originally coming with a considerable estimated price tag with a range from $20,000 to $30,000, the promised app had to be set aside. However, once student President Domenic Volpi and Vice President Cory Mentzer took office this 2013-2014 school year, they took the initiative back to the financial office and pushed for its development.
After working with VP of finance Steve Magiera, the finances were finally adjusted. Dividing the budget and costs, Student government and the Business Operations office, together, have successfully been able to deliver the much anticipated app.
After prolonged work with the FGCU Business Operations office, which will assume the responsibility for the service because it would be added to the app which they currently run, the price was conclusively reduced to about $12,000. This cost was split between SG and the FGCU Finance office.
If the app sees success and positive feedback from the student body, parking services will absorb the costs from SG and will continue to pay for this service and its maintenance. This means that SG will only be putting up an initial $6,000 to launch the development and release of the service.
“We will be marketing it this summer to all incoming freshman as they go through orientation,” Mentzer said. He anticipates its success and students look forward to its release. The service will be added to the FGCU app as an extension available this fall. It will track all FGCU shuttles from on campus, West Lake Village, and Gulf Coast Town Center.