Updated: Male Students Questioned Overnight for Possession of Pellet Gun

Riley Hazel, Executive Editor

Updated Jan. 23, 2023, 11:24 a.m. to add information from a campus-wide email from Chief of Police James Slapp.  

UPD detained three male subjects in Eagle Hall for possession of pellet guns early Monday morning.

At 12:40 a.m., UPD issued a campus Rave alert, noting an anonymous report of a male subject with a firearm. Police officers began canvassing the area.

The notification led UPD to a tip detailing three subjects in camouflage entering the residential building with firearms. Another resident reported sounds of airsoft guns in the hallway.

Officers tracked muddy footprints to a room on the second floor where three students live, according to an email from Chief of Police James Slapp. Students inside were found playing video games. They told officers they were recently on a nature trail with camouflage and orange construction vests. They took an Orbeez AR-15-style gun, which uses gel pellets, and a Crossman pellet rifle with them outside.

UPD said that there is no threat to the university.

A Rave alert issued at 1:04 a.m. would indicate that police detained three males for possession of one pellet gun shaped like an AR-15.

The three students were taken to the on-campus police station for questioning and statements. The guns were taken for administrative proceedings, and the students returned to their dorm room.

No damage was found in the building. The university will pursue discipline through the student conduct process as the students violated university rules and regulations.