UPD Beat: Officers Advise Student to Obtain Protective Order Against His Parents

Adriana Hall

On Sept. 19, UPD responded to a father requesting a welfare check for his daughter who had not spoken to him in several days. Officers found that the daughter was not registered for classes and not living on campus. Eventually, UPD contacted the daughter. She stated she is okay but is currently sick and has issues with her parents and does not want contact with them. The daughter plans to call her parents and tell them not to contact her. 

A student called UPD on Sept. 19, saying that his parents were going to come to campus on Sept. 20 and force him to leave to go home. The student’s mother said she would contact LCSO to escort her son, however, he does not want to go with his parents. The student pays for his apartment and other bills. Officers advised him to obtain a Protection Order, an official document issued by the court that is intended to protect someone from potential future violence by ordering another person not to do certain things. The student plans to attempt to obtain an order. 

On Sept. 21, the front desk of Biscayne Hall in South Village advised the students that an unknown man who was believed to not be a student had contacted multiple students asking for his sunglasses. The man was described to be a white male wearing a gray hoodie and multi-colored shorts. UPD was unable to locate the subject. 

UPD responded to a complaint on Sept. 22, about a man yelling about getting kicked out of housing at the Oak dorms in North Lake Village and threatening to break something. The individual was described as a black male in an orange and white shirt. Officers found out he was on campus visiting his sister. 

On Sept. 22, a student called UPD and claimed someone was impersonating him on social media. Officers concluded this was not a police matter and advised the student to reach out to his friends and let them know if they receive messages from someone claiming to be him to ignore the impersonator.