UPD Beat: Campus Golf Cart Hits Student’s Car

Adriana Hall

On Nov. 9, UPD received a complaint about an angry caller who wanted to file a report about an underground alkaline spring in Sarasota. The caller was described as obnoxious and loud but not threatening. He stated that foreigners should not have access to our natural resources. The caller told the subject to call him back in 48 hours and left his phone number. 

An RA from Biscayne Hall in South Village called UPD to report a resident walking around and yelling at the staff on Nov. 10. The resident claimed he was joking around trying to get their peers’ attention. 

A student called UPD on Nov. 13 saying their roommate was acting out and they requested an officer. UPD made contact with and interviewed the individual. They noted that there was no indication of self harm but that he was upset due to losing fraternity elections. He was referred to CAPS and said he would call in the morning. 

On Nov. 14, UPD received a call from Biscayne Hall in South Village about an individual standing in front of the building. The individual was described as a white male around 40 to 50 years old. He was also described as wearing a white shirt with black shorts and short hair. Police canvassed the area and could not find the subject.

Officers responded to a 911 hang-up transferred from LCSO from the Bower School of Music & the Arts about a person getting their fingers stuck in a vending machine on Nov. 15. Upon arrival, the subject was gone. A faculty member took the person to Student Health Services. 

A complaint was made to UPD on Nov. 15 about her vehicle being hit by a campus golf cart. She claimed the incident occurred on Nov. 14 at 11:40 a.m. at the corner of FGCU Lake Parkway West and FGCU Boulevard North. She reported that the golf cart backed into the front of her car. She said she did not report it right away because she had class.