What the New Year Means to Me

Gabriella Lopez

When a year culminates, the start of a new one awaits. It is the start of new goals, hopes and expectations. This is why people in all parts of the world celebrate the last day of each year. It is confirmation that although one year has ended, a new adventure begins. Even though it can be sad leaving many things behind, a fresh start gives us new motivations in life. 

For me, the new year means new dreams I want to accomplish. For instance, students who are just like me are graduating in Fall 2023 with their bachelor’s degrees and plans for life after graduation. Some are thinking of moving to other countries or states, some are planning on getting married and starting a family and others are planning to continue their education. The most important thing is that the new year brings joy because of the new adventures many of us will embark on.  

In my case, I am waiting to start my master’s program at the beginning of next year. It is something I have dreamt about for so many years, and it is finally here. I feel as though, with each passing year, my life has new purposes and illusions. Each year that goes by opens a new, exciting chapter of my life. I believe that it’s important to start each year with gratitude for the experiences we have acquired and the people that surround us. 

The new year means a lot of things to me. It means the start of a new career, as I will be an FGCU alumnus. It means the beginning of a new academic path in graduate school. It means my first “big girl job” where I can share the skills I have learned throughout my school years. It also means new steps in my personal life. As a student, I prioritize my studies over my personal life. This is why I will be graduating with a double major in just three years after high school. 

I believe this will be the year I can focus on myself and keep growing as a person. A year that I can use to travel around the world and discover new places and people. A year when I can go out more with my friends and spend quality time with my family. This is the year I have always been waiting for. I have new goals and plans that I want to achieve before the end of this upcoming year. I feel as though I am growing up and becoming an adult, responsible for making many important decisions—decisions that can alter my life forever.

Although I am grateful for everything I experienced in 2023, I know there will be many more exciting things waiting for me in 2024. The desire to become the best version of myself drives me to have new hopes each year. It drives me to be hopeful of new and more promising outcomes, and the best part is that it just keeps getting better each year.