SWFL weather cancels, postpones popular FGCU events

Due to inclement weather, both Programming Board’s annual Winter Wonderland and Campus Recreation’s second day of PuppyPalooza, which were scheduled for Thursday Dec. 3, have been canceled.
Both outdoor events were ultimately canceled due to the forecasted heavy rains throughout the day and into the early hours of Friday morning.
The Weather Channel forecasts a 100-percent chance of precipitation Thursday afternoon and evening with a 90-percent chance on Friday. Scattered thunderstorms are expected to begin at 1 p.m. until approximately 6 p.m. At least 80 percent chance of rain is expected throughout the rest of the night.
PuppyPalooza, a regular end-of-semester event where puppies from local shelters are brought to campus for students during finals, was scheduled from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the Cohen Center Lawn.
“Due to inclement weather this afternoon, PuppyPalooza has been canceled,” said coordinators for the event. “We apologize to everyone who did not experience the cuteness.
Winter Wonderland was scheduled on the Library Lawn beginning at 8 p.m., ending at 11 p.m.
Programming Board announced Wednesday morning that the annual winter event would be rescheduled for next semester due to weather concerns. Winter Wonderland is rescheduled from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Jan. 7 on the Library Lawn.
“It’s still going to be the biggest on-campus event you’ve ever seen,” Programming Board stated in an school-wide email sent at 2 p.m. Wednesday. “It will be a great way to start off your spring semester, so don’t miss out.”
The event is advertised to include an opportunity for students to build their own stuffed animal, play in a snow pit, get henna tattoos and enjoy free food and t-shirts and more. Programming Board said the same novelties, activities and food will still be available at the Jan. 7 event.
Free tickets are still available at fgcupbtickets.com. Those who have already received their ticket are still able to use it for the Jan. 7 event.
Campus Recreation announced Thursday afternoon that due to the same weather concerns, the second day of PuppyPalooza would be canceled. There was no mention that the final day of PuppyPalooza would be rescheduled.