10 Great Dates for Valentine’s Day

Photo by Unsplash

Abigail Muth, Staff Writer

Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite days of the year and not only because I love hearts and candy and the color pink (although that’s all true). I love this day because it means we get to spend quality time with people that we love! These 10 date ideas are some of my favorite ways to spend time with loved ones, whether it’s with my best friend or romantic partner. 

1. Rock Climbing or Other Such Hobbies

In high school, I started gym climbing with my friends and quickly fell in love with the sport. One of the things I love most about it is that although it seems intimidating, there really is something for everyone. I am personally not a big fan of heights, so bouldering with small rock formations is more my speed. Although for those of you who may be adrenaline junkies, high climbing may be perfect for you. We are really lucky at FGCU because a rock gym just opened up on Alico Road called FortRock. 

2. Breakfast in Bed (or Cook Together) 

I think cooking together can either be one of the most fun or one of the most stressful things a couple can do. Bringing a home cooked meal to someone you love in their comfy place, however, is more my speed (as in I want to stay in bed and be cooked for). But you do you!

3. Going Outside 

Another way to indulge your sporty or adventurous side is by bringing a ball or frisbee to the park or beach. Floridians are even lucky enough to have the opportunity to do this on Valentine’s Day whereas northerners should probably stay inside where it’s not negative degrees. 

4. Blind Taste Test

You know the TikTok trend where people blindfold their friends and have them try different types of sodas or burgers from their favorite restaurants and try to guess which one is which? This is such a fun way to not only bond with each other but also get a feel for how well their taste buds work. 

5. Mini Golf

I have never lived in a place that has more mini golf than Southwest Florida. Let me be the first to say I love put-put and I think it is one of the best ways to spend a cool summer evening. This is also a great way to spend Valentine’s Day in a group or with another couple. 

6. Spa Night

On the other hand, spending a night with your favorite snacks and pampering yourselves, is also an amazing way to spend your Valentine’s Day. 

7. Movie Night

Another way to spend the evening indoors is making popcorn, engorging in ice cream and watching your favorite movie. One of my favorite ways to spend movie night is by rewatching my favorite childhood TV shows. It feels so nostalgic and special, especially if you watch them from a fort in your living room. 

8. Take a Class

Learning something new alongside someone you love is a very telling experience. I love to collect hobbies, and what better way to do so than to have a stranger teach you something new. Pottery or painting classes are especially fun because you get to bring the product of your hard work home with you. I would maybe not recommend this idea to those of you experiencing academic burnout, unless working with your hands would relax you!

9. Pickleball or Tennis

During the Coronavirus pandemic, when the world was shut down and people were told to stay to themselves, pickleball really hit its peak. If you have never tried to play before, I recommend watching a YouTube video beforehand as it is basically playing ping-pong on a tennis court, but overall so fun and a great way to get a tan! Tennis is another way to get outside and move your legs, although it is a little higher impact for those of us who don’t want to run as much. 

10. Get Outside and Relax

One thing I don’t get as a college student with a full-time office job, is time spent leisurely outside. Go on a walk, take some photos of wildlife, pack a picnic or go bird-watching. There is no shortage of wildlife on and around campus that is just waiting to be discovered. 

I hope you all have a lovely Valentine’s Day this year with whoever you love. Make sure to take some time and do something special!